“What’s our plan?”
As a former military man, Ryan is all about plans and schedules. And don’t even get me started on timing: if we aren’t 15 minutes early? We’re late.
I’m pretty much the opposite… I like to be on time, but sometimes it just isn’t going to happen. And sometimes, I just want to play it by ear. C’
So, clearly we’ve had a big lifestyle adjustment over the past four years. The amazing thing we’re learning, though, is how we can balance each other out to make life more fun. I’m learning to appreciate timeliness and planning ahead, and Ryan is learning to relax a little 😉
One of my favorite things to plan now? Dinner! I’ve embraced the idea of meal planning (a few days ahead, not weeks… baby steps) and actually look forward to it. But occasionally, it’s the random dinners that are the best! You know, that meal you throw together with whatever you have… and end up loving the unexpectedness of it.
I was craving Mexican food one night, but we had just gone out to dinner the night before. In an attempt to be healthier and save money, this Mexican chicken quinoa bowl was born!
If you want to plan a healthy Mexican meal more in advance? Make this. If not, hello delicious Mexican chicken quinoa bowl. Add whatever else you have on hand and enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken breasts (2-3 breasts), cubed
- 1 packet or 2-3 T taco seasoning
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 2 avocados
- 1 t lemon juice
- ¼ onion, diced
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 can cooked black beans
- 1 cup corn, cooked
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Bring the quinoa and chicken/veggie broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan or dutch oven. Reduce to simmer and put the lid on. Let cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- While that's cooking, dice your chicken breasts. Cook with olive oil and the taco seasoning in a large skillet for about 10 minutes (until the chicken is fully cooked through and browning).
- Heat up your black beans with seasoning of your choice (I used garlic salt, pepper, cumin and paprika). Cook your corn (in the microwave or on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees with olive oil) and make your guacamole.
- When the quinoa and chicken are both done, assemble your bowls with the guacamole, beans, corn, cheese and anything else you'd like. Enjoy!