Happy Spaghetti Squash Week!
Ok, I actually just made that up.
Does spaghetti squash week exist? If not, let’s create it! Because I have two favorite spaghetti squash recipes to share today and tomorrow. They’re warm and cheesy, but better for you than the sausage broccolini pizza I wish I was eating (I miss you, Pizzeria Locale). What?
But seriously, when I’ve made a recipe twice in one week, I know it’s a keeper.
This sausage broccolini spaghetti squash bake is so easy and delicious — a perfect healthy weeknight meal. Well, mostly healthy, because all of the cheese probably counterbalances the spaghetti squash 😉
I adapted it from this Eating Well recipe. For some reason, a majority of spaghetti squash recipes tell you to cook it in the oven. I always do it in the microwave, because that takes about 10 minutes, compared to 40! Love kitchen hacks. For a step by step view, read this or this.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 lb mild sausage
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ t crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 T water
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ C shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Cook your spaghetti squash in the microwave.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet, breaking it up into fine pieces.
- While the sausage is cooking, heat olive oil in a medium skillet and add the broccolini, garlic and red pepper (if using). Stir for a few minutes, then add the 2 T water. Cook for another few minutes, then pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Once the sausage is done, drain the excess grease, pat the sausage dry and add to the bowl as well.
- When the spaghetti squash is done, scrape the "noodles" out of the squash in the large mixing bowl. Add in ½ of the mozzarella cheese, the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the mixture from the bowl into a greased baking dish (I use an 8x8) and add the second half of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.